Frequently Asked Questions - General

​​1) Multiple drains are backed up.

Solution: Check these plumbing fixtures:

  • ​Toilets
  • Bathtubs
  • Showers

​Are all of their drains making a gurgling sound as they back up with water?

Chances are, you have a main sewer line clog.

2) ​Water backs up in odd places when using plumbing fixtures.

Do these three things:

  • Flush your toilet. Does water start gurgling up your tub or shower drain? That means water is trying to leave, but is blocked by a sewer line clog. So, it goes back up into the lowest point, which is usually a shower drain.
  • Use your washing machine. Does your shower drain or toiler start to overflow with water? Again, that means water is trying to leave, but a clog is blocking it and forces it to go elsewhere.
  • Run your bathroom sink.​ Does your toilet water rise or bubble up? Most likely, you have a sewer line clog.

​​​3) There's drainage at the sewer cleanout.

"What the heck is a sewer cleanout?" you might be thinking. Well, it's a white pipe with a rubber cap or, in older homes, a metal "mushroom" cap, which provides access to the sewer line, so clogs can easily be cleaned out.

To find the sewer cleanout, look around the sides, front and rear of your house, possibly near the bushes. If you have a home that was built before 1978, you may not have a sewer line cleanout.

Once you find the cleanout, screw off or pull off the cap. If the sewer water is flowing up and out of the pipe or standing in the pipe, this confirms you have a sewer line clog.


The first thing you'll want to do is shut off your main water supply to your home. To do that, look for the water shut off valve, which is usually located:

  • in the basement
  • near the water heater
  • in the garage
  • in a water meter box located outside your home, near the street.

Second, call a professional plumber, who can clear sewer lines.

There's usually a two-step process most professional sewer line cleaners take to clear a sewer line clog:

  1. Run a drain auger (also called a "plumber's snake") through the sewer cleanout to clear the clog. If this does not work, the plumber could:
  2. Use a fiber optic sewer line camera to look down the sewer line and figure out what to do next.

The clog could be caused by the wrong items being flushed, old pipes​ not being able to handle the traffic (especially if you have company over). Or, if you have an older home with mature trees on your property, there is a chance that the roots have grown into the pipes underground, causing the backup. These answers are usually not easy to identify unless a fiber optic sewer line ​camera is used. 

Contact a plumber to clear any internal drain lines and to clear the private sewer line from your home to the connection on the Authority's main line. Once the private sewer line is cleared to the Authority's main sewer line and all roots, grease, and debris have been removed, then the private line should drain as normal. This should be done before you contact the Authority to investigate the issue.

Homeowners own the private sewer line from the house to the Authority's main sewer line. As such, they are responsible for maintenance and repair of this private sewer line. All costs involved with locating the problem are the responsibility of the property owner.

Clogs or blockages in sewer lines can be caused by materials settling in the pipe and, in turn, partially or completely block the sewer pipe. Such blockages can occur either in the Authority's main sewer line or in the private sewer service line that the property owner owns and maintains.

The private line, also known as the lateral line, connects your home or building to the public sewer system. Wastewater from your sinks, showers, toilets, dishwashers and washing machines flow through the lateral line to the public sewer system. Lateral lines can be blocked or obstructed by items flushed down the toilet or washed down the dtrain, as well as by tree roots and other obstructions.

​Ways to avoid backups are: Never pour grease or oil down a drain, including a garbage disposal; never flush any non-soluble down the toilet; never connect roof drains, downspouts or sump pumps to the sewer drain pipes.

A tapping fee is the amount that must be paid for each unit of capacity and conveyance of public sewer treatment. The tapping fee is based on the cost of building and/or purchasing capacity divided by the number of units of capacity that can be treated or conveyed for treatment. The best way to determine your tapping fee is to call or visit the Authority and provide your property location. The Authority maintains a map of the Township with related tapping fees and will quickly determine the applicable sewer basin and associated tapping fee.

An EDU, or "Equivalent Dwelling Unit," is defined as one single-family residential household. It is the unit of measure by which the user is charged for sewer services provided by MTMSA. It is calculated and imposed on each improved property served as determined in accordance with the Sewer Use Ordinance. Non-residential facilities are calculated depending on the usage.

If your account has a credit balance that is approximately one quarter's average sewer bill, the credit will remain on the account and will be applied towards your next quarterly bill.  Any credit balance exceeding this amount may be refunded to you by contacting MTMSA and requesting a refund.

Cash, check, credit cards* or money order payment methods may be used to pay your sewer bill.  The amount that can be charged on a credit card is $500

*there will be a $3 fee for credit card payments

At the Township Building, there is a black mailbox in front of the Police Department door.  You can place your sewer payment in that box if our office is closed.

Welcome! Please complete our New Owner form and submit it to our administrative office.

Yes, unless you purchase and install a separate meter. For more information, please contact our administrative office.

Because sewage usage charge is based upon water usage, you will be charged for filling your pool, unless you complete the Pool Credit Form and submit to MTMSA once a year, within seven days of having the pool filled.